[Yr11 Information Technology] Google Docs in action

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 16 08:19:08 EST 2010

Hmmm.  If they publicly promote their services to secondary schools, I'd
guess there is an implied exception to their own terms and conditions.

On 15 June 2010 17:49, Mike Brookes <mikebr at tpg.com.au> wrote:

>  Hi people,
> How do you get round the legal issues of using Google Docs with students
> under 18? - section 2.3 below
> Or haven't people read the terms and conditions?
>
> http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?hl=en
>
>  *2. Accepting the Terms*
>
> 2.1 In order to use the Services, you must first agree to the Terms. You
> may not use the Services if you do not accept the Terms.
>
> 2.2 You can accept the Terms by:
>
> (A) clicking to accept or agree to the Terms, where this option is made
> available to you by Google in the user interface for any Service; or
>
> (B) by actually using the Services. In this case, you understand and agree
> that Google will treat your use of the Services as acceptance of the Terms
> from that point onwards.
>
> 2.3 You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you
> are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Google, or (b) you are
> a person barred from receiving the Services under the laws of the United
> States or other countries including the country in which you are resident or
> from which you use the Services.
>
> 2.4 Before you continue, you should print off or save a local copy of the
> Universal Terms for your records.
>
> Mike Brookes
> chief cook and bottlewasher Copperfield College
>

> On 13/06/2010 4:08 PM, Roland Gesthuizen wrote:
>
> I agree with Mark, less eye candy means more concentrating on the content.
> I am equally surprised how well my groups took to using the chat function to
> swap links and dictate who is working on what section of the presentation.
> Another side benefit is that nobody pleads "XYZ has the USB key with the
> file and is away sick"
>
> A GoogleDocs update has improved the update speed. Happens much faster now
> although if a group is well organised, they just split the task up between
> themselves. We did the same when we used this to build virtual websites.
>
> Regards Roland

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.