[Year 12 SofDev] object descriptions

Sonia McDonald Sonia.McDonald at gippslandgs.vic.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 08:04:44 EST 2012

Hi Maggie,

In answer to your question, I'll give a bit more info (you may already know this)...

Objects are models of something that can do certain things and have certain things done to them. Formally, an object is a collection of data and associated behaviours.

Data in this instance represents the individucal characteristics of a certain object. A class of objects can define specific characteristics that are shared by all instances of that class. For example, if we have four grapes on the table in front of us, each grape may have a different weight. The weight is a characteristic called an attribute.

Behaviours are actions that occur on an object. The behaviours that can be performed on a specific class of objects are called methods. Methods are like funcitons, they house parameters and values. For example, one grape method may have a 'pick' and a 'squeeze' action.

In this instance, I believe that object descriptions are to describe what data and behaviours the objects have.

I usually get my kids to put it in a table:

Object                   Description

Grape                      Has the 'pick' and 'squeeze' methods.

Then I get them to further clarify by describing what the methods do in pseudocode.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Sonia McDonald

Teacher of Information Technology/Multimedia - Garnsey Campus