[Year 12 SofDev] 2011 Post Mortem

Andrew Pate arp at mentonegrammar.net
Fri Nov 18 23:44:14 EST 2011

Thanks to Mark for his insightful commentary on the exam - a much needed lightening of the day - and to everyone else who contributed.

I have a different take on two algorithm questions:

Qn C7:
If currentTime=1300, then deadlineTime of 1259 will incur a fine, as they have past the time of the deadline.

So my table is:

dlTime	Exp outcome	Line	Reason
1300	none		#7	curTime is = not > dlTime
1259	Msg		#7	curTime IS > dlTime
1301	none		#7	curTime is < not > dlTime
-1	none		#6	existence check/no car

And Qn C9
I think there are actually TWO errors in the algorithm.
The line length(numberplate) < 6 should be <= 6 or < 7 [so is a RANGE CHECK error]
AND
The line For position <- 1 To length(numberPlate) does not work for zero-based arrays. Aren't they all unless specified?
So should be For position <- 0 To Length<numberplate) - 1 [so is OFF BY ONE error]

In Q11 is it true in a complied program that variable names are replaced by memory addresses at runtime so reducing variable name length would not actually improve performance anyway?
It might reduce compile time, but...There is no indication whether Kirsten will make an "app" ie compiled or web-app therefore interpreted?

Finally are the following questions really worth the marks they have attributed?
C4: Answer: Response rates - reason, the system is trying to overcome time limits and folks driving off before being nabbed.
	Is that worth 1+ 3 marks?
C6a: Answer must be sorted.
	2 marks? Or do you have to specify ascending order?