[Year 12 SofDev] Student ranking query

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Fri Nov 4 11:22:41 EST 2011

Although it is too late now, if you have someone like this next year then
you should apply to have the questions read to them and the answers typed ­
either by them or the reader. This is not automatically granted but if your
VCE co-ord really believes that the student is disadvantaged by their
rudimentary literary skills and appalling written skills then you have a
fair chance....

Often as an exam marker I have marked papers where the answers have been
printed and stuck into the exam booklet. As a teacher I have had students
who have had the questions read to them and then the student has typed their
answers (on a NON-network computer) and once I had a student whose answers
were typed for him. Also another help is that students can apply for extra
time in the exam so that they can think through the stuff.

Also be aware that in terms of statistical moderation students like this
where they are given special consideration in the exam are out of your group
for stat mod. If you have a small clas this can be a problem!!

Also be aware that a student such as Travis¹ student with a poor exam result
is likely to be so far outside the rest of the group that they will be
removed before the stat mod is performed and so will not have an adverse
effect on your other students¹ results. If they are not far out of the
grouping then they will not have an adverse effect anyway!!

When you put in your predictive grades those grades have no actual effect on
your students¹ results ­ if the teacher¹s prediction is a long way from the
actual result then the paper is RE-marked (up or down).
If you have students with poor handwriting then PLEASE teach them to write a
little more slowly and carefully. Hard to read exams are hard to mark. Easy
to read exams are lovely.

One day we will be able to have students type their answers but there are
some issues. However the 1:1 computer initiative should solve most of

Enjoy the exam and remind your students that there are many paths to what
they want a nd most of them are likely to have at least four careers in
their lives.

Andrew

Andrew Shortell

mailto:shortell at get2me.net