[Year 12 SofDev] SAC 301 Location of Web Host

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Jul 13 12:11:39 EST 2010

I also have hosts in the US and Australia.

There is definitely a speed difference, but I think the quality of the
hosting service has a bigger impact than the number of hops a request takes.

On 13 July 2010 11:23, Russell Quinn <QN at boxhillhs.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>          this question was raised by some students when
> discussing Adrian's Pond Scum SAC 301.  I don't have
> enough network experience to give a definitive answer.
>
> The claim was that if the web hosting was moved from
> America to Australia, the uploading of pictures would be
> noticeably faster.
>
> As a physicist I can see here would be a change in performance,
> but I would have thought perhaps only milliseconds or perhaps a
> few seconds at most. Of course if there is a problem routing to
> America one might sometimes experience a delay, but not always.
>
> Does anyone know the truth of the matter?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards,
>
> Russell Quinn

> and
> http://www.vitta.org.au/vce/studies/infotech/softwaredevel3-4.html

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.