[Year 12 SofDev] SAC 301 Location of Web Host

Robert Hind robert at yinnar.com
Tue Jul 13 11:57:55 EST 2010

Hi Russell,

There are several factors that affect the speed of file downloads, including pictures on web pages.
  a.. how busy the hosting site is and how fast it can send the data
  b.. the actual physical route the data takes from hosting site to user
  c.. the number of legs in that route
  d.. limitations on data transfer speeds on any leg of the route, eg due to congestion
  e.. the end user's upload speed
So, yes you might expect uploading to be faster from an Aus hosting site, but this would not always be the case. The actual upload speed will be determined by the slowest speed along the route.

Robert Hind (Semi-retired) OOF, GOM (Thanks Kent!)
Ashwood and Traralgon
robert at yinnar.com