[Year 12 SofDev] SAC 301 Location of Web Host

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Tue Jul 13 11:43:53 EST 2010

As someone who uses US and AUS providers for web development and hosting - yes, there is a difference, but it's usually not a significant difference.

There is a lot less latency to an AUS provider - and this is most noticeable when executing instructions on the command line. Uploading images can take a little longer, and depending on the connection you might experience time outs when uploading large files. But with the smaller images we SHOULD use for the web, the difference would be barely noticeable over HTTP.  The size of the pipe and the amount of RAM are actually bigger factors to consider, and given the cost of hosting in the US is generally less than half the cost of hosting in AUS... you can usually afford more RAM and a bigger host which mitigates against the latency issues.

Swings. And Roundabouts!

:)