[Opensource] eLearning Planning

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Aug 4 12:19:31 EST 2007

<quote who="Cameron Bell">

>    * Networking software, including network managing programs and
>      anti-virus software
>    * Microsoft licensed software and standard applications
>    * Software that is used for eLearning.

I've just recently found out (and I can't quote my source unforunately) that
several prominent organisations in education have an agreement with
Microsoft that means they get even cheaper versions of MS Office if they
agree to not use any competing office solutions (such as Open Office). I
can't verify this at the moment, but I thought it would be worth raising. If
this is true in any of your schools, Government departments or other, then
it should be tracked down.

Not only is it anti-competitive, but it is also removing the opportunity for
students to learn anything apart from MS Office, which means they are
learning products, not concepts. It also discriminates against poorer
students that can't afford to purchase MS products at home to do their
homework.

Cheers,
Pia

--