[Moodle] Ultranet quick timeline of history

James Spittal jspittal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:10:17 EST 2009

"*Teaching VCE Software Development, I have learn to appreciate the good and
bad parts of all systems. Nothing is perfect. So use whatever package to
fulfil your requirements, as long as you are well informed of all possible
scenarios at the time.*"

I absolutely agree. Each system has its advantages and its disadvantages.
eLearning is still a relatively new field and there are a huge number of
potential solutions in this problem space.

One example to illustrate this point is a website that I launched less than
a month ago - Merspi: http://merspi.com which is a eLearning website
specifically for VCE educators and students to ask/answer questions.

The time/location restrictions that were inherent in traditional teaching
are becoming increasingly blurred.

The point is: tools like Moodle, Blackboard and eventually Ultranet are only
the beginning. Mobile learning (*what happens when every student and teacher
has an iPhone or smart phone?*) and Web 3.0/The Semantic Web (*what happens
when your Facebook, Twitter, Blackboard, Blog and every other learning tool
you use on the web can talk to each other and integrate?*) may provide us
with completely new innovations that make the old ones seem like MySpace
(look how fast that online empire was crushed!)

Web celebrity Gary Vaynerchuk in one of his videos talks about the Internet
being a 'teenager' - it's about 15 years old. If the internet is a teenager,
then social media is still an infant. If this is true, the possibilities are
endless.

Apologies for contributing to the further derailing of this e-mail thread
:-)

Kind Regards,

—

James Spittal