[Moodle] Learning Management: managing learning? managing students?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Mon Nov 9 11:39:02 EST 2009

Donald raised an interesting question in saying...

"Ultranet is designed from an administrative perspective and try to
include Learning Management module. Whereas Moodle is designed from a
Learning Management perspective and try to include any administrative
modules."

Something similar crossed my mind as I reviewed some of the info out
there on Ultranet and L360. So we all know and love Moodle... but what
about the admin?

Here are some open source tools - I've got zero hands on experience with
any of them... but perhaps some of you:
 - have heard about,
 - already evaluated,
 - want to explore
other open source school admin software options? :)

http://schooltool.org/
SchoolTool is a suite of free administrative software for schools.

http://richtech.ca/openadmin/
Open Admin for Schools is a School Administration Program.

http://opensis.com/
OPEN SOURCE STUDENT INFORMATION SYSTEM

What other open source tools are there for managing school information
such as...
  - attendance
  - student reports
  - school funding and finances
  - school sports results
  - parents association
  - timetabling
  - professional learning
  - library information
  - website
  - other critical tasks?

It doesn't have to do everything... Remember the unix approach is to
have small tools that do one thing and do it very very well - hence the
importance of open standards so those tools can connect / integrate /
exhange data when necessary.

I've heard of proprietary attendance and reporting tools such as First
Class and Markbook...

What tools do you use?

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director