[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA U3O2 SAC

Litsa Tzelepis htzelepis at msj.vic.edu.au
Sat May 12 19:30:18 EST 2012

Hi Simone,

In the past I have asked my students to generate a combination of criteria
and calculated queries.

Calculated Queries

For example, for our practice, we created a database where customers booked
tickets for a Musical/s. The students had to calculate the cost of the
tickets depending on how many adult and child tickets they requested and
they also had to determine whether a customer was eligible for a discount on
their tickets, based on how many bookings they have made via the booking
company. In the total cost, there was also a standard booking fee that
needed to be included. These are outlined below:

§     Total Cost$ - The total cost of the booking, including the booking
fee.

§     Disc$ - The discount amount off the Total Cost$

§     Actual Cost$ - the final cost deducting any discount amount

The formulas:

Total Cost$:8+[Adult$]*[Adult#]+[Child$]*[Child#]

Disc$:IIf([Booked#]>=3,[Total Cost$]*5.5/100,0)

Actual Cost$:[Total Cost$]-[Disc$]

Criteria Queries – some of these are generated via multiple tables

§     All bookings >= 3

§     All customers attending CATS or MAMA MIA

§  All plays playing at the National or Regent theatres where the patrons
have paid by VISA or AMEX

§  Customers who have paid and have qualified for a discount

I’m not sure if this is helpful or even if its enough in terms of level of
difficulty.

I hope it makes sense.

Good luck, Litsa J