[Year 12 IT Apps] System Flow Charts

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 17:44:24 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

I am a late entrant into the discussion however, if you check the
System Documentation Methods book(let) used at TAFE by Judy Adams there
is a very helpful outline of System Flowcharts  and how they differ from
DFDs.
Without writing out the whole chapter ( Ch 5 p 51 - 56 ) some key
points are :

 1. System Flow charts are concrete models of information systems. They
depict the physical aspects of the info system rather than the logical
aspects.  They show the major inputs, outputs and the processing as well
as the interrelationships between them. They depict the forms that these
inputs and outputs take ( eg. printed report, manual input ) as well as
the medium used to store the data files ( eg. disk or tape ).
 2. System Flowcharts show the SEQUENCE of steps through which data
passes ( unlike DFDs ) with a starting point and end point.

 3. System Flow chart      vs           Data Flow Diagram

  a) A physical model                vs                 A logical
model
  b)  Shows a definite sequence of processing events       vs
processes are numbered for identification purposes and only and do NOT
indicate a sequence; however the relationship between processes is
indicated by showing the flow of data between them.

 c) Indicates whether a process is manual or electronic eg. validation
    vs  No indication  of how process is carried out

 d)  Indicates the output form, such as on screen or hard copy
    vs     No indication of what form the output takes.

  To finish off, there is a reference to the fact System Flow charting
was a popular modelling method in the past when most info systems were
large batch processing ones; this modelling methodology has mostly been
replaced by the likes of context and Data Flow Diagrams. Organisations
that still employ system flow charts use them to document the overall
system and as a guide for computer operators to assist them outline
operating procedures for executing systems.

  I hope this helps ......

( For those who want the book the details are:  System Documentation
Methods by Judy Adams ,  ISBN 1 875886 184 from Tertiary Press in
Croydon or online at www.tertiarypress.com.au ).

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> 2/11/2007 12:23 pm >>>
Thanks Robert.  Hmmm.  I've seen several references to system
flowcharts
that make them indistinguishable from DFDs.

e.g.

http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/_/viewer.aspx?path=hut&name=c00995.jpg

And answers.com defines...

"data flow diagram (′dad·ə |flō ′dī·ə′gram)
(computer science) A chart that traces the movement of data in a
computer system and shows how the data is to be processed, using
circles
to represent data. Also known as bubble chart; system flowchart. "

Then one can call Level 0 DFDs 'context diagrams' just to make it all
the more fun. e.g.

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/ipt/project_work/3287/design_tools.htm

(The difference is apparently: "Context diagrams do not have storage.
DFDs will always have storage."

That page goes on to say:

'A system flowchart describes the flow of data and the logic through a

system and shows similar details to a data flow diagram. However a
system flowchart will place much more emphasis on the source media and

will use different symbols for different types of media and processes.

"System flowcharts are a diagrammatic way of representing both the flow

of data and logic through an information system. They were once the
primary tool for documenting systems; however, data flow diagrams are
often used instead. Standard flowcharting symbols are used along with
symbols for representing physical devices that capture, store and
display data. Many of these symbols have become out of date as a result

of changes in technology. "   HSC Information Processes and Technology:

Software and Course Specifications", 2001, page 8'

It seems to me that system flow charts and DFDs are VERY closely
related... it makes me wonder how the study design can say one is
logical and the other is physical.

I would recommend that the next study design's glossary is clearer on
defining such subtle differences... including the effective difference

between the SDLC and the Problem Solving Methodology  :-)

<kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.auvce/studies/infotech/itapplications3-4.html