[Year 12 IT Apps] System Flow Charts

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sun Nov 4 01:04:42 EST 2007

Indeedy.  If the study design continues to insist on students and
teachers differentiating between minute and subtle syntaxes such as
"Problem Solving Methodology" vs SDLC and "system flow chart" vs DFD
they ought to define them properly in their glossary...

...and remove that damned "56 bps modem" that seems to live there
forever  :-[

Mark

Timmer-Arends wrote:
> Hello Mark
>
> I think one key point is the one you quoted "...They were once the
> primary tool for documenting systems; however, data flow diagrams are
> often used instead ...". When I was looking through my refs I did wonder
> how wide spread the use of system flow charts is in 2007.
>
> and just on this point: "I would recommend that the next study design's
> glossary is clearer on defining such subtle differences...including the
> effective difference between the SDLC and the Problem Solving
> Methodology" I do think the glossary may need to be prepared with more
> care but more importantly, I think it needs to be much more extensive,
> in effect becoming a reference. One of the things that I find really
> frustrating is the number of times on this list discussions start up
> just like this one about what is X, and 101 opinions about what X is
> appear. And we should not have to rely on opinions! We need a reference
> that covers the entire course and that has the VCAA imprimatur. Then at
> least we will all know where we stand.
>
> Regards
> Robert T-A

Direct line: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax   +613 9578 9253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Moderator: ITA Mailing List

Some days you're the pigeon.  Some days you're the statue.