[Informatics] Data Analytics - How the Internet Talks

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Dec 10 16:50:29 AEDT 2015

Hi David. It's only in the silly season that we can get to indulge in
trifling discussions like this.

But I do call it "the internet". I think it's well-enough known to 99.9% of
the online human race what is being referred to.
The chance of confusion is low. About as low as "coworker" being
interpreted as a bovine labourer.

I suppose we could capitalise *all* common nouns, like the Germans tend to
do, I believe.

The Problem is that People get attached to Traditions that no longer apply.

But we *did* manage to get over writing "to-morrow", "to-day", "x million*s*
Dollars", and "M. Night Shyamalan makes *really* good Films" in recent
Years.
There is still Hope.

A Visit to Google ngrams
<https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=internet%2CInternet&year_start=2000&year_end=2015&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cinternet%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2CInternet%3B%2Cc0>
tells us that Usage of "Internet" steadily declined between 2000 and 2008,
while "internet" has risen (marginally).

I must therefore *extrapolate* (a good Word for Kids to know for
Informatics Data Management Theory, BTW) that the Usage of  "Internet" has
continued declining in the seven Years since the last available Google
Datapoint.

Regards

marK

P.S. Extensive research tells me that neither Shakespeare nor Einstein ever
ONCE referred to the "Internet" with a capital "I". So there.