[Informatics] 1. Intro 2. Thanks 3. South Park

GIBNEY James james.gibney at thomascarr.vic.edu.au
Thu Dec 10 14:18:24 AEDT 2015

Hi all,

I hope you are well.

Firstly, after a hiatus of almost seven years I am back teaching IT. I am teaching the VCE in Wenzhou in China and this year they have decided that we will study Informatics. We started three weeks ago and so I have a bit of a headstart on you guys, though without a text book - not even last year's Applications text yet - an incomprehensible school computer network (all in Chinese) and a computer room from the mid 1980's . Despite all these challenges I am raring to go. Unfortunately, I am wallowing a bit, particularly regarding getting started on the SAT. Any advice or direction is appreciated.

Secondly, thank you Mark for your wonderful resources. I hope it warms your heart to know that your PPTs are avidly consumed over here with little modification except for laboured explanations of your puns and the occasional keyword translated into Chinese. Your name is spoken in hushed terms in our school with all the respect the Chinese can muster.

Lastly, an interesting take on the targetting of on line ads is examined in the last two South Park episodes. It might be a bit too irreverent for the classroom but maybe some of the kids have seen it and it might be a good way to discuss or introduce the issues.

It is good to be back.

Regards

Jim  Gibney

Wenzhou No 21 School