[Yr11 Information Technology] [Year 12 SofDev] Please thank Mark Kelly for all he has done for us

Mark mark at vceit.com
Sun Feb 3 13:14:50 EST 2013

Golly.  This is like watching one's own funeral ceremony, with special
interest from those at the back who turned up just to make sure I was
really dead.  :-)

Yes, folks, at 55 I have had enough of ethos, powerful learning, E5, VELS,
Australian Curriculum, immersion, curriculum review, "making a profound
difference in the precious lives of each and every student we have the
honour to teach", being accountable, jumping at the sound of bells like a
champion Pavlovian stunt dog, attending hour-long meetings that could have
been replaced by a one-paragraph email, dealing with adolescent
bush-lawyers who know only their rights and not their responsibilities,
settling disputes about which year 7 took something from another year 7's
pencil case, marking endless SACs, and driving to and from work with the
headlights on during cold, wet winters .

Ah, the memories.

I will now have time to do stuff like writing "Buckets of Knowledge" for
ITA and SD (focusing on the tricky bits that everyone gets confused about),
and a Jumbo Collection of multchoice questions, perhaps as an app.
And for years I've been planning on converting vceit.com from static HTML
to CMS... now I have time to choose a platform (perhaps Joomla or Wordpress
- whichever is easier to convert to.)  And learn MySQL.
And I want to play with Python on my Raspberry Pi... which sounds pretty
odd, if you don't know them both.

And if, on a Wednesday night at 10pm I suddenly get a craving to re-watch
an entire season of 'Breaking Bad' just so I can work out if Walter
actually poisoned Brock with ricin - I WILL. 'Cos I CAN.  The thrill may
wear off after a while, so then I'll satisfy my lifetime desire to get a
part-time job at a hardware store selling hammers.  Nothing else: just
hammers.  Sweet.

But most of all while in my Gentleman Of Leisure mode, I will be strolling
down the sand at Bonbeach in the sun thinking kindly of you all sculling
your coffee, grabbing your laptops and whiteboard markers and running off
to double year 10 while you KNOW that it's a beautiful day outside and that
at least one person is CERTAINLY strolling down the sand at Bonbeach
thinking of you.

I do thank Kevork for his gracious message and noble sentiments.  He really
is one of the nicest people in The Real World (TM) as well as the IT
community.

Have a rich and rewarding year, everyone!

Regards,
Mark K

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com