[Yr11 Information Technology] Learn PHP and MySQL to make useful websites and support your students

BROWN. Jeananne BROWJEA1 at lavalla.sale.catholic.edu.au
Mon Feb 8 22:14:59 EST 2010

Hi everyone
While I appreciate that these things all cost to some degree - and by complaining we're probably shooting the messenger - I can't help but think that the truth lies somewhere in all the messages about the affordability of PD.
In a year when many if not most schools are finding the financial going tough, when there is basically little if any money for things other than 'vital', who seriously can afford these costs?
I don't question the actual cost/value because I have no knowledge of their complexity, but maybe the PD and the clientele are not matched anymore.
To be truthful - it wouldn't matter how great the PD was - even if there was a chance I would return as an all knowing, worldbeating ICT genius - we don't have the money to spend.
It is 100% certainty that most schools around my area would be loathe to and unable to spend $600 on 1 person for a PD day. As Leanne says - the discounted price is way outside our league.
We are feeling guilty if we spend $55 for a Saturday morning PD where it doesn't cost the school anything in terms of replacements etc. We wouldn't even ask to attend a VITTA PD as the money is just not available.

I'm interested to hear from ppl who are able to attend and how this sort of $ fits into the budget. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned from that angle.
And - maybe those of us who have decided it's an absurd amount of money should be taking our thoughts to VITTA directly.

Jeananne Brown
Lavalla Catholic College
Traralgon  VIC  3844