[Yr11 Information Technology] Study design online

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Thu Apr 1 22:43:44 EST 2010

This thread is well, quite detailed!
I have my copy of the new design in my pigeon hole at work but honestly, havent yet actually got the chance to peruse it as closely as some others clearly have already.
Presently, I am snowed under ensuring I get my Cert3 structures and assessment types managed and setup correctly...its too important that I get it right for both myself and the kids! Really enjoying doing the NetAdmin stream and looking forward to the rest of the year's work...and not forgetting my ITApps kids too.
Thanks to Nashy and Strachany that I met up with at the day at moonee ponds..and the others I chatted with also. Handy to know support for newbies to VET subjects is there, although it sometimes is found by accident and other times can be hard to find.
Will get to reading the new study design ASAP, but am actually having doubts about whether I will actually have an ITApps class next year with the drop in numbers happening lately!

For what its worth, I am really pushing the girls into I.T. angle at the junior and middle secondary levels knowing full well that opportunities genuinely DO exist for females in the industry. BUT, I did also emphasize that it was no easy path and hard yakka was needed. Time will tell if my talks make a difference! The looks on their faces tells me the interest is there...my challenge now as I see it, is to KEEP THEM INTERESTED AND INVOLVED...not as easy as it sounds for a male teacher!

I reckon a big factor in numbers dropping off is, quite simply, the number of competing courses for student selection at the VCE level. Additionally it is made more difficult when the students must go off-site to attend these courses as the local TAFE's and other learning centres seem to absorb many students into their courses. On one hand its terrific that students have so many choices available to them, its less than ideal however for subjects like ours in I.T. areas struggling to fill numbers from already dwindling stocks.  The twist, I am hearing is that some uni's would like a stronger computing base from first year candidates...hard to provide when they dont choose our subjects!
Classic case of spreading the icing too thin on the cake...some parts just miss out!!!

Kent Beveridge.
ICT Co-ord and Maths teacher,
St.Brigids CSC, Horsham.