[Yr11 Information Technology] PHP for Unit 2

Greyruin greyruin at gdurkin.com
Tue Nov 13 07:47:07 EST 2007

I am using php and css at year 10 (Y10 Computer Programming) -
Dreamweaver, FrontPage etc, NOT permitted! They are here to learn
hard-coding. I use php and mysql with css formatting for both 11 and 12
(ITA) I have a networked server in the classroom so that they can see
their work wherever they are. If you use Linux, one of the best
graphical interfaces for administrative management of mysql database
tables is WebMin. I find that management of database accounts themselves
is easiest from the command line. I also like to get them used to SQL
theory by manipulating their databases manually at the command line.

I will be presenting this topic at VITTA Conf - 21 Nov but everyone is
welcome to the resources on my web page. I only have the text blurbs up
so far - no samples or scripts yet. I have been doing this for a couple
of years and find that kids can "get" php pretty easily. My Y10
programmers are currently finishing up a very simple "On Line Shop" - no
shopping carts, just a catalogue - and have asked what the next
challenge will be. For Y10, storing data in text files is simpler than
mysql.

In brief, though, I use
    Fedora Core 5 on the server
    Apache Web Server
    WebMin for general administrative tasks
    Putty on local Win PCs to make ssh connection to Linux server
    Set up "Virtual Servers" so they can log on as "Blinky.tsc.lan", for
example (This is very easy if you use local DNS)

I'll post the web address when I have some greater detail.

Cheers
Greg Durkin
Traralgon College - yonder in the Valley