[vet-it] Cert II and III planning tools and some other handy stuff...

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Sat Jan 24 13:27:24 EST 2009

Hi Dan and others on this planning issue..
The auspicing RTO must provide admin assistance to its trainers so check with your RTO and see whats on offer. Myself and another staffer are meeting ours in the first week of Feb to discuss our courses and strategies etc. I will try to get to the VET days being run too.
Heres probably a useful tip Dan, instead of trying to plan your whole year just now, get Feb planned and do the next month during Feb when you are up and running.
A colleague at a previous school once yelled across the basketball court to me at lunch and simply said - be 2 weeks ahead of the class and 3 weeks ahead of the bright one!! How true those words are to this day.
Dont try to plan for all your units at once but just have a few aces up your sleeve in case a few bright learners want to work ahead - as I expect at least 2 of mine in that boat for the Cert III stuff - keen is the word for them!
BUT...if you have the "Head of Curriculum" from hell(as I did about 5 years ago in her new 'promotion') on your staff, then have a skeleton plan(just in case- plan B) of your intended teaching schedule. This doesnt have to be a daily plan or even a lesson/session plan, but just an outline of your direction for the teaching and learning strategies with perhaps a few assessment strategies thrown in for good measure.

As for the posted hours per unit as per the training packages, they are a guide. The Cert III is over 400hrs! That'll scare a few off if you tell em.
You are the trainer, you will know, or get to know, your learners and how fast they can or cannot go.
The idea of a spreadsheet or database for your records is a handy tip.
I have attached some useful files for you to help get you going for marking and prep.
My Cert IV provider gave me some great resources as a new trainer when I did the course with them via an online learner forum where we swapped ideas and resources.
http://tpu.bluemountains.net/    (training packages unwrapped)... great resources!
http://trainingo2.net/            (another trainer site thats great too...just register and enjoy!)

The attached files use resources from these links. Other resources are there too for ALL training packages on the NTIS website.

Hey Dan mate, stop stressing, there heaps of resources out there for trainers...trawl the net with the unit number you need info on and go from there or try the official NTIS site, and the DECT sites..there's heaps out there to help ya! Another handy tip, get in touch with local work providers or job placement agencies, they are sure to have some projects or tasks you could get ideas from on OH&S, and work related units, a local computer company might help you out with the hardware and software units. Explore local job networks, they alway willingly talk to trainers and educators as its in their interests too! Local businesses love the promotion of their business too. Potential new trainees, apprentices etc for them! Your techie onsite should be able to handle much of the network stuff as required for some units of the Cert II and III. You are not on your own, just offer others the chance to work 'with' you on some topics and share your load..eg get your techie to do a presentation on system migration or the network protocols etc..he'll/she'll be great at it, its what they deal with daily so they could give a great speech about it! They might even walk your kids through some of the behind the scenes network stuff..kids love that.

yeah, yeah, I know...hindsight is a funny thing...I've made major stuff ups too and just made sure I learned from them! Lets just say my planning techniques got a wake up call in recent years (I'm the proverbial 'old dog' learning new tricks!). Thats why I chose to do further studies recently and am continuing to do so again this year with the TA05 course via my same provider.

You'll be fine.
Enjoy.
Kent.

Kent Beveridge,
I.C.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
 http://www.stbc.vic.edu.au/ <http://www.stbc.vic.edu.au/>
Horsham Ph (03) 5382 3545
kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."