[vet-it] Copyright / authorship / solutions / ??

rb bouman.reinier.r at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 11 12:56:22 EST 2008

Kevork Krozian wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Thanks to Associate Professor & Deputy Head  of Dept of Computer Science
> and Software Engineering
> University of Melbourne the following is posted as a solution for our
> sharing of work created and perhaps adapted/modified by others and also
> ourselves.
> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 5:48 PM
> Subject: Re: [Year 12 SofDev] Copyright / authorship / solutions / ??
>

>> On 3/5/08, Adrian Janson <janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:
>>> It may well just need to be the case that when we post materials to the
>>> lists, we need to state (in the document as well as in the attached
>>> email),
>>> that the materials are free to use but may not be adapted or changed
>>> in any
>>> way without the permission of the author….  As I put the finishing
>>> touches
>>> on my 2008 SAC1 – I may well do this before I post it to the list?  I
>>> would
>>> be interested to know what others think of this?
>>
>> I think your concern about use of your work can be covered by a simple
>> license, such
>> as one of the Creative Commons licenses.  You could include the
>> following text in a README or LICENSE file alongside your other
>> materials.
>>
>> Copyright (c) 2008 Adrian Janson.   Distributed under the terms of the
>> Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike License
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
>>
>> Note that this particular license permits derivative works, and
>> insists that they be circulated under the same license (a viral way to
>> ensure that those who benefit from your work are also
>> community-minded).  Another option is to prevent any modifications
>> with the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-NoDerivativeWorks
>> license
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
>>
>> However, this is probably too restrictive, only allowing someone to
>> use your work in its entirety and with no modifications at all.
>>
>> Steven Bird
>> http://www.csse.unimelb.edu.au/~sb/

>> Authority and
>> http://www.vitta.org.au/vce/studies/infotech/softwaredevel3-4.html  -
>> VITTA Victorian Information Technology Teachers Association Inc

> Teachers Association Inc
>
> --- AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM) ---

I could have this horribly wrong, but here goes;

to cover your copyright, package the item [usually a CD with your work]
as if you were sending it by mail, take it to the post office and mail
it to yourself.
Do NOT open the parcel when you get it.

If you're a bit paranoid about it, take it to your friendly
neighbourhood bank and ask them to stick in one of their safes.
or put it in a fireproof/waterproof/etc. proof safe at your house.

It now has a government stamp on it, sealed, dated, named and it's
official. If there's a query anytime about who's work it is, you've
literally got it in the 'bag'.

I think by doing this you've met the basic copyright/ownership legal
requirements.

I stand to be corrected, or I'll cower in a corner :-)