[vet-it] Video conference and VET Resources

Nash, Peter N nash.peter.n at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 8 13:50:33 EST 2007

Reinier,
 I handle the looooong  course streams by breaking down the evidence
requirements for some of the units - many overlap with one anther. It is
a matter of then working out the sequence you need to teach so you don't
repeat areas of competency. I find doing it this way saves the students
time and effort.

In respect to the cert II in year 9 and 10 electives - I have
incorporated the many of the competencies required for the new training
package into my IT networking and to a lesser extent IT Applications -
remembering I am concentrating on the Network Stream with the Cert III.
I the have the required Evidence to provide to my RTO (Kangan TAFE) for
satisfy a number of the prerequisite units. Once again it is a matter of
understanding the requirements of the Training Package and provides
suitable activities for students to demonstrate knowledge and
competency. My Year 10 IT classes run much the same as my VET classes -
giving students the opportunity to experience VET prior to actually
commencing it.

The hour requirements are their as a guide to structure learning of the
units (some else tell me if I am wrong), you may find some students will
complete them in a shorter amount of time, others you RPL etc.

I was speaking to my RTO (Kangan) all students studying the old training
package ICA99 will have units recognised if they continue their studies.
I have looking at the two training packages and will be assessing my
ICA99 students with the similar units in the ICA05 package (competencies
virtually identical)

Hope this helps

Peter