[Year 12 SofDev] SD U3O1 KK07

7 7 at 7u7.org
Mon Apr 18 00:03:43 UTC 2022

Thanks, James and Adrian. This KK sounds like it was put into the design as
an aspirational message rather than as a specific teaching point.
But surely it could have been framed as a concrete learning item, e.g. *How*
 *a programming language can be used to meet a variety of needs.*

Or whatever it was trying to get at. It sounds like a *Girlfriend KK ™*:

She: How you can meet my needs!
You: What needs?
She: You know.
You: Not really.
She: My *needs*. My *specified *needs.
You: When did you specify them?
She: I shouldn't *have* to specify them.
You: OK. Now you're sounding like a study design.
Slap

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 at 19:04, Adrian Janson <janson.adrian.a at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> JV
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 17 Apr 2022, at 14:39, 7 <7 at 7u7.org> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks, Andrew.
>>
>> But what would an SD U3O1 KK07 question on the *exam* look like?
>> I can't imagine it.
>> And its application to a SAT is equally mysterious.
>>

>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 at 13:55, Andrew Shortell <shortell at get2me.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> hi Sven
>>> I see this as key knowledge on HOW to use a programming language to do …
>>> etc
>>>
>>> Most students are only exposed to one language at school ….
>>> if you have good digi  tech in 7-9 then they will have met at least one
>>> other language
>>> THEN they can see that different programming languages will meet
>>> different needs better.
>>>
>>> NO single language can meet all needs ( though a compiler meets the
>>> programming language but is still limited by the hardware)
>>> NO single hardware can meet all needs
>>>
>>> So where does this go?
>>>
>>> think about all the other languages which you have used on different
>>> platforms with different IDEs and each one was used to meet specified needs
>>>
>>> LISP (now sadly out of fashion) was magnificent. I loved it and its
>>> recursive techniques.
>>> Fortran worked really well for math type things
>>> COBOL was useful in business applications. Its limits were shown up by
>>> the y2k issue where programs were written in the 60’s and 70’s and were
>>> still working ok in the 99’s
>>>
>>> As part of accepting that I am now unemployed (permanently which is
>>> effectively retired) I looked back on all of the languages I have learnt
>>> (about 25 approx). Many of them only met certain needs and were useless in
>>> other contexts. Most i have not used in a long time.
>>>
>>> so, TO ME, this is a given.
>>>
>>> The KK is to understand that ONE language can NOT do all things.
>>>
>>> So my SAC u3o1 and the SAT are structured around what the language I use
>>> in class can do .
>>>
>>> So I emphasise that the SAT (and u3o1) must demonstrate load, save, add,
>>> edit, delete, sort, search.
>>> Any client in a business will need ALL of those things.
>>>
>>> *(Also I did NOT write that KK in the Study Design but I do fully
>>> support it.)*
>>>
>>> A games writing team will use a seriously different language for its
>>> needs.
>>>
>>> Apologies for a very long winded reply
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>>
>>> Andrew Shortell
>>> (retired and given up on working in a classroom)
>>>

>>> On 16 Apr 2022, at 2:26 pm, 7 <7 at 7u7.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Adrian.
>>>
>>> So how can students prepare for a question based on *SD U3O1 KK07 - **A
>>> programming language as a method for developing working modules that meet
>>> specified needs*
>>>
>>> *Question A3: To what degree is a programming language a method for
>>> developing working modules that meet specified needs?*
>>> B. It's better than a compiler but worse than an algorithm.
>>> C. Really, quite a lot when you sit down and really think about it.
>>> D. It's more important than *God*.