[Year 12 SofDev] sorting criteria My thoughts

brett fitzsimmons bpfitz at netspace.net.au
Mon Jun 20 23:07:35 AEST 2016

Hi all,

An interesting and informative session today.

I'm still confused as to where the term "complex" fits in as part of a
solution. Shouldn't it be efficient, effective and appropriate? We could
make anything more complex but why should marks be awarded for something
that is totally artificial such as sorting arrays of 16 items? Perhaps this
would have been better approached as a key skill in Outcome 1. If you teach
students how to code a "complex" sorting algorithm and the complexity, I'm
guessing refers to how complex it is to code, then won't each student use
the same approach as I certainly wouldn't expect them to reinvent the wheel
and the tyre?

We are asked to use features of an OO language so where do we draw the line?

There is also the question of data structures and complexity. Does a C#
Dictionary count as a complex data structure? They are pretty much O(1) for
searching and far easier to use than arrays in many instances.

Regards

Brett Fitzsimmons