[Year 12 SofDev] compiler question

Calum Munro munrocs at aquinas.vic.edu.au
Mon Sep 2 21:54:18 EST 2013

Hi Andrew,

I'm with you. The program runs, so no syntax error. The program crashes when given an incorrect input, that's a run time error for me.

Calum

On 02/09/2013, at 2:37 PM, "Andrew Pate" <arp at mentonegrammar.net<mailto:arp at mentonegrammar.net>> wrote:

Hi all,
I have purchased the IARTV trial exams and am wondering about one of their multi-choice answers.Your help is, as always, appreciated.

The question asks about a function written which is called “POP”, but “when testing his stack Alan accidentally types in PIP and the program crashes”.
The multi-choice answers has us choose from runtime error or syntax error.

They suggest the answer is syntax error (and explain that a name, expression etc…that the compiler cannot understand causes a syntax error)

Now, if the program IS RUNNING and THEN crashes, does that not imply that it compiled? Therefore, it is a runtime error (where validation of input was not handled) or am I thinking too language specifically?

Thanks

Andrew Pate
Technology Faculty Coordinator

Mentone Grammar
63 Venice Street, Mentone
Victoria, Australia 3194
T +61 3 9584 4211   F +61 3 9581 3290
M  +61 3 0416 228 436
arp at mentonegrammar.net<mailto:arp at mentonegrammar.net>
www.mentonegrammar.net<http://www.mentonegrammar.net/>

<image001.jpg>
Outstanding opportunities
for girls and boys ELC-12

See more about Mentone Grammar<www.mentonegrammar.net>. This email and any attachments to it are confidential. You must not use, disclose or act on the email if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please let us know by contacting the sender and deleting the original email.