[Year 12 SofDev] compiler question

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Sep 2 21:21:21 EST 2013

Hi Andrew.  The issue is that the user issues the command ("PIP") to the
program which cannot interpret it, so it crashes.
It's the same as giving any compiler a command it cannot understand - a
syntax error.

The error was not in the code of the program -  so it ran properly - until
it was given a command by the user which it could not decipher, hence the
syntax error in the input.

Cheers
Mark

On 2 September 2013 14:36, Andrew Pate <arp at mentonegrammar.net> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I have purchased the IARTV trial exams and am wondering about one of their
> multi-choice answers.Your help is, as always, appreciated.
>

> The question asks about a function written which is called “POP”, but
> “when testing his stack Alan accidentally types in PIP and the program
> crashes”.
>
> The multi-choice answers has us choose from runtime error or syntax error.
>

> They suggest the answer is syntax error (and explain that a name,
> expression etc…that the compiler cannot understand causes a syntax error)
>

> Now, if the program IS RUNNING and THEN crashes, does that not imply that
> it compiled? Therefore, it is a runtime error (where validation of input
> was not handled) or am I thinking too language specifically?
>

> Thanks
>

> *Andrew Pate*
>
> Technology Faculty Coordinator
>

> *Mentone Grammar*
>
> 63 Venice Street, Mentone
>
> Victoria, Australia 3194
> T +61 3 9584 4211   F +61 3 9581 3290
>
> M  +61 3 0416 228 436
>
> arp at mentonegrammar.net
>
> www.mentonegrammar.net
>
> [image: Description: cid:image005.jpg at 01CBEE3A.50E0BA50]
>
> *Outstanding opportunities*
>
> *for girls and boys ELC-12***

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

Day 19, I have successfully conditioned my master to smile and write in his
book every time I drool.- Pavlov's Dog