[Year 12 SofDev] ipad as an extra tool

Bucknell, Chris cbucknell at whitefriars.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 28 11:15:17 EST 2013

Hi Damien,

Here at Whitefriars we have a PC based technology platform with all students and staff issued with a Notebook or Tablet PC.  This year I got my new machine which is a Samsung Series 7 ATIV Pro, which is a Windows 8 Tablet hybrid (i.e. A tablet PC that has a keyboard it docks with, like on some of the M$ TV ads) - so not the Surface (which is a WinRT) but similar to the Surface Pro.  I must say in general I'm impressed with it, it's got the benefits of a PC (really computing power) plus the benefits of a Tablet (fast boot, long battery life, etc...).

I've got the full Microsoft development stack installed on it (Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate, SQL Server, etc..) and it works fine (well more than fine), but I do have a second monitor for when I'm doing my development work.  As for a teaching tool it's great, although I'm still coming to terms with retaining my brain for Windows 8 and the new hardware (I am a creature of habit).

So in short, IMHO it give all the advantages of a device that's designed for consuming content but give a robust tool that is built for producing content.  So when paired with MS OneNote it's the killer education tool (well I hope ... :))

Regards Chris

Chris Bucknell
Data and Information Systems Developer
________________________________
[cid:image001.gif at 01CE15A4.E2DC95D0]

[cid:image002.gif at 01CE15A4.E2DC95D0]

Address:

156 Park Road, Donvale, Victoria, Australia, 3111

Phone:

(613) 9872 8200

Fax:

(613) 9872 4343