[Year 12 SofDev] Analysis: Scope vs requirements

Matheson, Heath A Matheson.Heath.A at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Sep 19 14:36:17 EST 2012

Very late joining in on this one but worth noting the study design on page 17:
"Determining the scope of the solution. What can the solution do? What can't the solution do? What
are the benefits of the solution to the user? The scope states the boundaries or parameters of the
solution. Benefits can be stated in terms of their efficiency and effectiveness."

I guess don't forget to include the efficiency and effectiveness benefits in the scope. The study design has spoken :-)

I certainly agree that explaining the difference between functional requirements and what's included in the scope of a project is difficult. I have tended to think of scope as how far you can push a solution. Eg Requirements of Mars Rover Curiosity might be to take samples of the "earth" (or should it be "mars"?) but the scope may be that it can take sand samples but not super solid rock as this would require a jack hammer.

Happy Holidays to all!

Heath Matheson
Snowsports and ICT Coordinator
Mount Beauty Secondary College