[Year 12 SofDev] App development

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Sat May 26 22:27:32 EST 2012

hi Kevork and all

Mobile OS ?  Because I am in an iPad community I am in favour of iOS --> Last year at Swinburne I did an android OS half day and it was good (scratch like interface)
If you make separate ones then I will go with both

Today at ICTEV conf the "killer Phrase" for me was  1:1 Self directed learning  both at school and out of school

effectively it is all about students learning  and teachers learning  - not teachers being oracles. There was a lot today about peer tutoring (teachers ->teachers, students - > students  and students to teachers)
Who controls what we learn, what students learn --> the learners.  we can try to control what we tell them but with 1:1 they can control what they learn, when they learn and why they learn.

So with iOS (& Android) we can help them to learn how to make apps that they can use to help others learn and help others with learning.

With Unity they can make games etc that they can export to iOS, Android and web base apps

Today I saw a web base app system , online systems to build simple apps and they are easy
e.g. ibuildapp.com,  www.buzztouch.com  and others

Apparently there is also red foundry .com  - uses code pieces to create apps,

I am also excited about xcode  but.... (if you have looked at coding in Unity it is not simple but yr 7 students apparently can use the jigsaw approach)

This year NONE of my VCE students have printed in the classroom. They have iPads, can pdf stuff, upload to dropbox, share it with me,
the old fashioned ones even email me sometimes.

They have insisted on a facebook page (because they are used to it --> I Use email to keep up with the facebook)

People want to learn --> let's help them to do it and help them to extend them selves  and hopefully they will carry us along with them.

Andrew
(still buzzing form the conference)

Andrew Shortell
CRC Melton