[Year 12 SofDev] Evaluation vs testing

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Sep 23 12:44:49 EST 2011

I think I've worked out a meaningful example...

A company wants to increase their sales. They decide to create a fun website
to attract young people who may buy their products.

They create the website and test all of its links, menus, readability,
relevance, usability, accessibility.

They *test* every page in the major browsers and every test is 100%
successful.

They put the website online and wait for the money to pour in.

They decide to evaluate whether the site is successful in achieving their
aims of popularity and profit.

What *criteria* should they evaluate?  Popularity with young people.  Increased
profit generated by the site.

So they look at the site statistics: they find large numbers of young
visitors. They find zero profit.

They realise that none of these young visitors have credit cards or Paypal.

So *testing* showed that the site was fully functional and 100% accurate.

The *evaluation* showed it was a complete *failure*.

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au