[Year 12 SofDev] Sample U3O1 Case Study

Claudia Graham claudia.graham at overnewton.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 25 14:40:15 EST 2011

Hi Heath,

I really like what you have done with some elements of the SRS. I plan to do similar with the DFD and like what you did with the UCD. I was hoping to do it this term but it won't happen until the first week of next term which means it can't go on for too many lessons.

I do have a concern with 'the network environment' in your case study (design brief), if I'm reading correctly your current system is paper based, and the outcome does specify the solution should operate on a network.  Does this mean in the SRS you are actually asking them to 'design' the network, or write about the paper based system? Maybe a simple P2P network would be enough in this scenario.

I think we need to make Analysis clear to students i.e. what is currently in play in the organisation, not what would we like to see there (which is design).
I know this week when doing a practice case study I had to keep focusing students back on 'what does the case study say', not what's you wish list for the best possible network. So to me in the design brief we should have a current network system - does not need to be perfect but present nevertheless.

With the SRS we do have to remember we are trying to familiarise students with a business document which in the 'real world' has some level of formality, so they should not be producing answers to a list of structured questions.  However, we are also dealing with adolescents and they come from a range of cultural and language backgrounds.  So we have to make sure we are fair and reasonable to the students and as well as ensuring the task adequately differentiates students. Just be careful with items that start reading like exam questions rather than report headings.

So like any exam (assessment) you need items that all students can access and do (list/identify) , and items that allow your top students to shine. So in saying that we need to make sure our SRS templates don't fall into the trap of reading like a set of questions with a too much directional information.

Regards
Claudia