[Year 12 SofDev] SRS operating environment + standard SRS

Philip Feain feainp at stkevins.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 24 13:56:30 EST 2011

Hi Maggie and Mark

This is the issue I brought up with Paula on the VCE IT Day several weeks
ago, that we needed a "standard" SRS template to be suggested to us to
follow with our students. I guess this could be communicated to us through
one of the bulletins for next year.

I have looked at a lot of SRSs this year and agree with you. The fact that
we have to meet Key Skills, use the Assessment Handbook and give the task in
a realistic time frame are what influences the SRS and its structure as
well. How big or small should the task be or even how complex? There's no
guidance officially. That's why I have used a modified version of Claudia's.
It's a pretty good template and the students can follow it.

I guess it begs another question. How much detail is enough? This is
something I'm trying to grapple with. My students have just completed their
fourth period and it looks like they may need a sixth so they can just print
the report.

Cheers

Phil Feain
Head of IT
St. Kevin's College

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Margaret King Iaquinto <
iaquinto at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Itchy question #2 about the itchy question: Is there such a thing as a
> *standard* SRS?
>
> Mark, I have visited so many websites and read several books on this topic
> and each SRS template looks different. And the wording is different too.
> Yes, there are common elements. But standard? Unsure.
>
> What do you think? What do others think?
>
> Maggie
> (ICT at St Leonard's)
>

> VK3CFI
>
> *On Thu Mar 24 9:23 , Mark KELLY sent:
>
> *
>
> A little itchy question. In the standard SRS template there is a section to
> describe the "operating environment".
>
> I'm assuming this is this meant to describe the *current* environment and
> should not include any upgrades or additions that the new system would
> require.  Such upgrades could only be determined during design, rather than
> during analysis.
>
> Is that how you good folk interpret the "Operating Environment" SRS
> section?
>
> --
> Mark Kelly
> Manager of ICT, Reporting, IT Learning Area
> McKinnon Secondary College
> Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085, Fax +613 9578 9253
> kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
>
> VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
> Moderator: IT Applications Edulist
>
> All generalisations are false, except this one.

> and

This email message does not represent the view of St Kevins
College, is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are
not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email
and immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction
of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is
strictly prohibited. No representation is made that this email or any
attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended
and is the responsibility of the recipient.