[Year 12 SofDev] Data dictionary - data formats

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Wed Apr 6 19:26:24 EST 2011

Hi Mike
Most "people" would merge it out from an excel file into say an address
label
Would microprice s/w print the leading zero when it comes from excel as a
number?
Would any other better written s/w print the leading zero?

Would it not be simpler to just treat it as text ...

You no doubt will remember when NT postcodes changed.. (It was when Oz post
wanted to introduce personalised postcodes for big companies in sydney and
melb - melb got the 8000s and sydeny got the 9000s) this occurred after ram
/hdd space became significantly cheaper and thus within the price point of a
public provider of services such as oz post

So originally they were all numeric which would have fitted with the whole
thought that they could be stored in less space... Now that restriction is
functionally irrelevant.

Andrew S
--
Andrew Shortell
Hoping to be able to save enough to become semi retired in my mid to late

mailto:shortell at get2me.net
Heidelberg Teaching Unit
Ph 9470 3403
Fax  9470 3215