[Year 12 SofDev] Records and Arrays

David Dawson David.Dawson at wesleycollege.net
Thu Aug 19 20:46:20 EST 2010

What a fascinating discussion this is! (No I mean it!)
When I started teaching Pascal in 1998 - I was so confused by "records"
- and came to see them as "customised data types" and - having just
learnt some Java and C++ - I figured they were really like Classes - or
even objects.
In any case I have not come up against this mysterious "data structure"
in the other languages I have explored - in C they are constructed and
can be called anything - and I bet that the library file could be
renamed ""list_o_stuff" - even in Pascal.
I prefer PHP at present and in PHP - like so many languages - the thing
people seem to miss is that in "weakly typed languages" everything just
starts as a String and is dealt with "contextually" as someone cleverly
pointed out earlier. If there are numbers we wish to multiply the
language figures this out by our operations - very smooth!
An array is a list defined by a computer language to store temporary
Strings! Some languages limit these - if they insist on strong variable
typing.
I really hope records are just amended out of any reference in the study
design.
IMHO they died 10 years ago!

David Dawson
Head of Information Technology Learning Area
Head of Learning Technologies
St Kilda Rd Campus
Wesley College
577 St Kilda Rd
Melbourne 3004
Ph 8102 6340
Mob 0425 718147

Sapere Aude - Dare To Be Wise

Wesley College Melbourne is a world class coeducational independent school
developing the whole person through timeless principles of learning:
- to know
- to do
- to live with
- to be
with innovation and wisdom

ABN 38 994 068 473  CRICOS 00354G

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please email a reply to Wesley
College and destroy the original message.