[Year 12 SofDev] Records and Arrays

Guy Flaherty G.Flaherty at xavier.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 19 20:03:09 EST 2010

Robert,

Actually, this is not what a record is. There is no requirement for a record to use any 'naming' for items it contains, only that it can contain items with different base data types. An array can contain items of only one data type. Meaning that what you have described is actually not correct according to the SD definitions. The commonly used term to describe both of these is 'array', but the SD definitions are quite clear in how they are different.

Usage is not so clear and, as you have demonstrated, can become confusing if you start to impose human logic/reason on top of computational data structures. An associative array is only an array if all items in the array are of the same type, otherwise it is a record. A record does not have to associate names to the items inside it. Both serve the same purpose with the only difference being the data types stored inside them. In essence, a record can be an array, but an array cannot be a record.

The fact that some programming languages do not follow this model leads me to believe that this will need to be explained to my students very carefully on a theoretical basis initially, and examples of real world usage must be chosen extremely carefully so as to not confuse them, given that in practice this is not what they will be seeing with their programming.

My understanding is also that a record does not have to be one dimensional. As I think Laurie was pointing out, this is quite a complex topic, if you look at real world usage. If you simply stick with the SD definitions it will be much easier to explain, and hence, the need for clear, open definitions in this instance is vital. Otherwise, how are we going to present the ideas for students to refer to as they complete the exam if we have no 'baseline' definitions on what is acceptable.

Guy Flaherty

>>> "Timmer-Arends"  19/08/10 6:51 PM >>>
Hello all

Don I think you touch on the most important point: the concept is the thing,
not how it is implemented (or not) in any given language.

So, (to meet the requirements of 'old' and 'new' languages) an array is a
named collection of elements which
may or may not be of the same type, and which are all individually accessed
via a numerical index or indices.

As for a 'record', if we are talking about named data structures that exist
(normally in memory) at program run time, then I agree it is an unfortunate
term in that context but only because we are so used to thinking of records
as part of a file on disk. I also agree that Pascal is probably the only
language to use the term in reference to a 'memory structure', but in the
context of Pascal it makes perfect sense, and, as Steven points out,
conceptually there isn't any difference. As I said, I think we have it so
ingrained in us to think of it as part of a file. Also creating further
confusion is the the term 'associative array' which looks an awful lot like
what Pascal calls a record, but throws in the word 'array'. (Although I
suspect that an associative array is in fact a broader generalisation that
encompassed both 'traditional arrays' and 'records').

So, a record (memory structure or not) is a named collection of elements
which may or may not be of the same type, and which are individually
accessed by, as Steven also points out, by an 'attribute name'. Also, a
record is 'one-dimensional' (Although you could have an array of records in
which case Pascal would say you have a file!)

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC