[Year 12 SofDev] programming languages advice for 2011

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Aug 6 08:34:52 EST 2010

It's similar to the ITA course where the use of a relational DBMS is
mandated, but there is no mention that the databases created by students
need to be relational.

Mandating an OOP is rather pointless unless the use of OOP's distinguishing
features is also required; and - as has been mentioned - the chances of my
typical cohort getting anywhere near inheritance in one VCE year is
near-zero,

On 5 August 2010 19:47, Kevork Krozian <K.Krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>  Hi Mike,
>

>  Great question.  I think it is possible to teach OOP with inheritance at
> one level . However, as exams have never had any questions beyond 3GL (
> selection, looping and sequence – will that change for the next study design
> ? ) one has to wonder about the benefit of taking students to a level of
> using classes, objects and inheritance. The simple use of objects can be as
> rudimentary as reusing pre existing objects  ( text box, label, etc ) and
> changing the properties of these. That is why I believe we need to state in
> more detail what a program is expected to do for each programming SAC.
>
>  It is one thing mandating only use of true object oriented  languages,
> quite another what you do with it. Eg. Use of OOP languages with use of
> wizards or as a 3GL language may satisfy the language selection, but how
> does it stack up for either programming depth of knowledge or currency of
> programming methodology ?
>

> I too would be curious as to what proportion of our colleagues use “real”
> OOP in their teaching and assessment.
>

> Kind Regards
>
> Kevork

Manager - Information Systems; Reporting Manager
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Author - VCE IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.