[Year 12 SofDev] When is enough enough? Data structures depth of knowledge required.[y12]

Dr Andrew Wenn andrewwenn at mac.com
Thu Sep 11 14:40:51 EST 2008

Hi,

Could someone please advise on how much knowledge VCE students are required to have of data structures?

Looking at the two main texts there is a fair difference for example in the discussion of linked lists in terms of implementation and algorithms. I find the Study Guide even more vague (now why does that suprise me????)

Obviously students should have an appreciation of structures such as the array, queue, stack, linked list and trees and when and why they would be used.

It would be easy to for me to teach six months of data structures and implementation but what amounts to enough knowledge? Are students expected to know insertion and deletion algorithms for linked lists or even how to traverse a tree or a list?

All answers to be supplied on the back of a table napkin pls :-)

Andrew Wenn
Gippsland Grammar

email: andrewwenn at mac.com