[Year 12 SofDev] Swinburne Uni Software Development student day

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 9 09:11:19 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

 A late report but hopefully useful nonetheless.
On July 21 we had around 100 students from 4 schools attend the Software Development student day at the Hawthorn Campus of Swinburne University.
There were 3 great sessions with excellent preparation and facilities as follows:

     1. Networks and networking lecture/discussion that lasted 1 hour that gave the students great insight into the networking section of the course
     2. A security session where students used VMware to install spyware on a XP virtual machine that had no service packs on it and it browsed to a Linux partition that had the spyware file on its web site.
     3. Finally there was a VB.NET programming session demonstrating how to create a wizz bang game with explosions and other fun things that appeal to a Yr 12 .
     4. A session on careers and options for students

   Organisation was very professional, catering was great and the students came away very impressed as did the teachers.
 Special thanks to Rob Mercer for all this work and the best part of all was the fact that it was FREE to schools.

   As you can see, I am suggesting these activities are invaluable and Swinburne obviously want to make the effort to support students in the secondary system for which we all owe them a huge debt of thanks.

Best Wishes

>>> "Kevork Krozian" <Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au> 23/07/2008 5:16 pm >>>
Hi Mark,

Great effort. That must have been to fill in the spare time on your hands ....!
Can't wait to get a hold of them as it will enrich our preparation.

Speaking of preparation, I am taking my class to Swinburne Uni next Monday for our SD day with a huge thanks to Rob Mercer for organising this.
I am not sure if others have done the same yet, but perhaps a different face and voice may hold their attention and imprint course material they need to know but don't register due to familiarity and the she'll be right attitude at school.

I will report back on the day next week ...

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> Mark Kelly <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au> 23/07/2008 2:36 pm >>>
Insight has one for SD (and one for ITA) - www.insightpublications.com.au.

Disclaimer - I wrote them  :-)

But remember: for the kids, term 4 will only be about a week long.

Dr Paul Chandler wrote:
> Friends, colleagues ...
>
> As I will be on long service leave during Term 4, I will be leaving my
> Software Development class behind ... (sob)
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what sources for practice exam questions are
> there around?  I need to load them up with plenty of exam practice.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
McKinnon Rd, McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085 Fax +613 9578 9253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

I worship the ground you walk on, because I like grounds.  You, I'm not
so keen on.