[Year 12 SofDev] Design of User Interface

David Dawson David.Dawson at wesleycollege.net
Mon Sep 8 14:58:16 EST 2008

The confusion probably stems from the overlapping SDCs over the SDLC.
If the SDC is all about the 6 SDC stages and these make up devt then OK - I can see it in Development.
However, when I learnt it at Uni - Design was all about the interface and DFDs or object model etc.. So then it was all in design. Frankly I wish we did not have the two cycles in our course. Just the SDLC for mine - and I say it is in Design then :)
David

David Dawson
Head of Information Technology Learning Area
Head of Learning Technologies
St Kilda Rd Campus
Wesley College
577 St Kilda Rd
Melbourne 3004
Ph 8102 6340
Mob 0425 718147

>>> kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au 09/08/08 2:41 pm >>>

Interesting. I'd still firmly put the interface design into the
pre-production basket.  There should be nothing that happens during
development that significant affects the interface; at least nothing
that a skilled software creator could not have foreseen. If the
interface is only considered during development, I'd say it is a symptom
of lazy or poor design.

Anyway, from a personal perspective. I _always_ start any software by
designing the interface.  It's then that I define what I need the
software to be able to achieve. Once the interface is right, I'm ready
to start coding whatever's needed to get that result.  Sorta like when
doing an IPO, filling in the "O" column first and then working backwards
to define what "I" and "P" one needs to get it.  Then again, maybe
that's just me...

How do other people approach coding?

Anyway, I firmly insist on my kids designing interfaces in "design time"
before production begins... with the computers firmly turned off.
The times I have not enforced this, they fiddle endlessly, having fun as
they make things up as they go along.

Adrian Janson wrote:
> Actually on second thoughts I can see why Development is the suggested
> answer.  It is during the development phase that the software
> development itself takes place * and the Design phase is really about
> selecting hardware, software and determining features of the system
> rather than getting stuck into details such as UI’s.  The design phase
> might determine that a software package needs to be created and have
> certain requirements * and some designs might be created which represent
> what the UI should ideally look like.  But it is a lot like a concept
> sketch of a new house versus a detailed plan of what each of the rooms
> will look like.
>

> I change my vote!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Adrian
>

> *Adrian Janson, *
>
> *VITTA President*
>
> *Director of ICT, *
>
> Melbourne High School,
>
> Forrest Hill, South Yarra 3141 Australia.
>
> Phone: 03 9826 0711 International: +61 3 9826 0711
>
> Fax: 03 9826 8767 International: +61 3 9826 8767
>
> E-mail: janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
> <mailto:janson.adrian.a at edumail.vic.gov.au>
>
> Website: http://www.mhs.vic.edu.au
>
> Blog: http://jansona.edublogs.org <http://jansona.edublogs.org/>

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.