[Year 12 SofDev] Re: Re: Industry practice - tertiarylinks (MarkKelly)

Margaret Lawson margaret.lawson at konstantkaos.net
Thu Apr 24 09:58:01 EST 2008

I am enjoying this discussion and I agree with Adrian that there does
need to be a bit of social commentary in our IT courses. How can you
teach security and not talk about ethics?

But I have been pondering this thought ...

I wonder if there is any link between schools dropping IT as a formal
subject in the lower levels of Secondary School (because it is *so* well
integrated throughout the school) and IT enrolments? I know that I have
found it hard to convince students to enrol in a Year 9 or 10 elective
if they have not experienced IT as a curriculum or experienced the
teacher teaching it.  And I know the "integrated ICT" argument, but at
the end of the day an integrated ICT unit is *very* different from a
well thought out IT curriculum. Schools need both and I think that there
is room for both - isn't there?

Just a thought ...

:-)

Margaret