[Year 12 SofDev] Pondering SD U3O2

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Wed Feb 14 17:45:38 EST 2007

Hello Kevork

At the risk of being picky, the study design doesn't use the term 'model' in
this context - that was Adrian providing one interpretation of how to
approach the task. It doesn't preclude writing 'real' programs.

>I am not sure if I am a little naive here , but what is so special about
>"modelling" a program to run on a mobile device ?
>What skill set is required to model this task apart from understanding that
>the mobile device has a smaller screen area ?

Many of the students I taught found writing any kind of program difficult
and gave little or no thought to screen design - especially if the program
only required 3 textboxes and a few labels placed somewhere in the vast real
estate of a standard monitor. The portable device constraint would at least
force that issue.

Also, just because the program the students write may never run on an actual
portable device, that doesn't make it any less real - it still has to do
everything the 'real' program has to, so the students still have to write
the same 'logical' code, although not necessarily the same 'physical' code.

It seems to me that part of the issue here is the large difference in
ability and experience among students that the study design has to cater
for: my more or less rank beginners through to your highly experienced
student programmers. And, as it has been since VCE IT started, we have the
tough job of catering for and giving achievable challenges to that range of
students.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC