[Psychology] Psych Question

Serpless, Irene E serpless.irene.e at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Oct 16 10:42:52 EST 2006

Hi Gill,

You have probably already taught this but just in case,
Levels  of Encoding

Structural - focuses on physical attributes of words, using shallow
processing on a superficial, perceptual level, rendering items easy to
forget.

Phonemic involves the retention of a stimulus word according to what it
sounds like.

Semantic employs deep processing attaching meaningful associations in
order to understand  the items to be remembered. This is the deepest
encoding level.

Irene