[Opensource] Getting rid of Windows on your R61 Lenovo

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Oct 14 08:59:59 EST 2009

I know that I am very lucky that my techie and I both have the belief
that schools are places of learning and exploration. While having a
uniform platform and a "corporate" approach to ICT infrastructure on a
curric network certainly has its merits - particularly from a support
point, I am lucky that my technician is of the opinion that we are
there to support student learning and teachers in whatever they feel
*they* need to use for better educational outcomes - not just what
suits us. On our curric network we try to mimic the real world and so
encourage a range of platforms and most importantly feel that teachers
(like anyone) work best and produce their best when they are able to
use whatever tools they are comfortable with or enjoy using. I don't
tell my technical team what they can and can't use and don't expect
them to dictate to me what I can and can't use. (We do have many
discussions on the pros and cons and if there is an insurmountable
issue then we err on the side of not totally stuffing it up for
everyone. ;)
  I could never work in a school that told me what I must and can't
use - (hence my days of ever going back to the private system are
over.) If I am fluent in Win, Mac and Linux for everyday use, I  can't
see why I shouldn't be able to use the most appropriate tool for the
job. I use a Mac so that I have access to all three OS's if needed.
Schools are not corporations once you step into the classroom.
When we hire technical support we insist that they have, or are
prepared to learn, to deal with all three platforms. Most technicians
know that most answers are only a click away or a discussion forum
question from solving. There is also training available. However we
also tell staff the price we pay for this flexibility is speed of
response when it comes to some of the more unusual problems we get. If
they want to delve into Ubuntu, Mac or switch to Windows  good on them
and we will support them but we also encourage them to find out for
themselves (lets be independent lifelong learners folks) - it's
amazing how many teachers are staggered when they come in with a
problem and we just google it if we don't know the answer. We also
take time to explain to the user that they could possible do this and
I am sure that this is already happening - many of our teachers who
have recently switched to Macs are doing a great job of sussing things
out for themselves - very few issues.
As for any policy - the core business of learning and what is best for
the students comes first and if that means giving everyone -
technicians, teachers and students the tools *they* want.....

(My  0.0181467 USD worth.)

Cheers
Cameron