[Opensource] FOSS - different arguments

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:13:40 EST 2008

Quite the reverse here .. a teacher came in 2 hours ago and asked to get rid
of that thing that had apparently possessed her laptop .. took me quite a
while to figure out it was Office2007. Steam generation was still evident
when I reached for Office2003 so I gave that a miss. Once the atmosphere
cleared I quietly installed OpenOffice. When it fired up I heard a polite
thank for fixing the interface.
  Lesson one, floaty toolbars are for ubergeeks and users dont like to be
messed about .. they just click and type. When nothing happens, it is
broken.

Seems that everybody her paperwork was sent via recruitment online couldnt
open and read her work. When I quietly suggested and tried to explain the
docx doc odt war, I was fixed to the spot by a frozen glare that reached the
way to the stock exchange.
  Lesson two, avoid the format war discussions and debriefings directly
after the battle.

Later we had a good chat about the differences between Office2007 and
different standards. She wanted to know how much it would cost. I indicated
it was free, drop dead easy to use and tossed the growing smile a free cdrom
as I went to make a cup of tea.
  Lesson three, deep down .. users crave freedom but only when their basic
needs are first satisfied.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au