[Opensource] FOSS - different arguments

Cameron Bell bell.cameron.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Dec 3 10:15:47 EST 2008

Bugger 24 hours too late.
I was having a "robust discussion" ;)  in the staff room yesterday and
was told by those "in the know" that big business still use MS Office
and *always will*.
It all stemmed from a remark by a teacher who was sick of not being
able to open docx, etc  files that students were now submitting. I
mentioned that about 2 years ago I told the staff that this was going
to happen and that we could avoid a lot of hassles by moving to, and
recommend using OO. I am loathe to mandate software usage,( I don't
believe I can tell people to use "package X" if I expect the freedom
to be able to use whatever I am most comfortable with), and merely
suggested that it would be a wise move. Well now I am being criticized
for not telling people they must use Open Office!
I am also copping grief from people for "not recommending strongly
enough" that they should have chosen Macbooks over the Lenovo's with
Vista, sheeesh.
I think I am going to put in place a policy of "I don't care what
Application you use, as long as the files it produces are: odt, pdf,
jpg,  <insert lots of open file formats>"
Specifying acceptable file types rather than acceptable Applications
may be a better way to go. People can choose the app they are most
comfortable with, although some apps are better than others for
certain file types. ;)
Cheers
Cameron