[Opensource] Penning a drawing

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:44:32 EST 2007

 <http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/1782201276/>
 Gimp version 2.4 on Ubuntu
Linux<http://www.flickr.com/photos/plakboek/1782201276/>
<http://www.flickr.com/people/plakboek/>
Here is a screenshot of the software GIMP, <http://www.gimp.org>
version 2.4This is a powerful graphics software package with many cool
features
including new icon theme, scalable brushes, revised selection tools, new
color menu, full-screen editing, new crop tool, improved printing, red eye
removal, perspective clone and lens distortion tools.

Not only are there flavours of Gimp that run on just about any computer
operating system, because the software is FLOSS it can be freely downloaded
and used by my  students and colleagues. There is even a  variant called GIMP
Portable <http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/gimp_portable> that
can run on a USB drive or another called
Gimpshop<http://gimpshop.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-is-gimpshop.html>that
changes the interface to something resembling Adobe Photoshop,

Gimp has attracted some criticism (perhaps unfairly) because of its user
interface. As Donna once pointed out to me, the right mouse button is your
friend in the default Gimp interface and will bring up many of the functions
needed or looked for.

Once users get become familiar with the interface of one software package
they are often reluctant to adapt or master the interface of another. When
the general concepts of layers, filters and functions are so similar, it is
sad to see them stuck on this learning curve. None of the major graphics
software packages really work 'out of the box' without some external help
with lessons or tutorials. In the context of a secondary school, arguments
about 'industrial software standards' are phony and undignified.

It all comes down to your personal taste, needs, funding and experience. As
a lite user, it does exactly what I need from a software graphics package
with the basic functions just a click away. :-)

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au