[Opensource] eLearning Planning

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Aug 4 21:04:14 EST 2007

Hey Cameron,

<quote who="Cameron Bell">

> I don't think that there is anything as sinister as that Pia, maybe I am
> being naive, but afaik there is no directive to not use alternatives and
> I have never been told that I can't implement OO or any OSS.

I was told it wasn't OSS generally, just OOo.

> Rather it is a lack of knowledge of the alternatives and the fact is that
> the Microsoft deal was in early on schools, (as was Apple), way back when
> installing Linux was still not for the faint hearted. It means most
> teachers still have no knowledge whatsoever of the alternatives or that
> they even exist, something I am trying very hard to remedy in my area
> anyway.

Oh I'm sure this is usually the case, and I don't believe there is some big
conspiracy or anything :) I had just come across this particular specific
issue and was raising it so people can in their own organisations look into
whether or not it is true for them. For this organisation it is very true
and on their internal website.

Cheers,
Pia

--