[Moodle] Moodle 2, WebDAV & Cloud storage

Paul Maxted pmaxted at dlsmalvern.catholic.edu.au
Mon Nov 12 13:46:46 EST 2012

Hi,

I haven't been following this thread but we are successfully uploading from
the iPad to Moodle v1.99 by using the browser iCab Mobile.

Students simply use the "Open in..." feature from say Pages, and select
iCab Mobile. Students then login into Moodle, go to the assessment task,
choose the file (which is now in the iCab Mobile file area) and uploads.

Maybe right off topic but I thought I would share for anyone wondering how
to upload files to Moodle from an iPad.

regards
Paul
De La Salle College

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Kevork Krozian <kevork at edulists.com.au>wrote:

> Hi Donald,
>
>  Great work. I am sure many will benefit from your experience.
>
>  We too have managed to get iPads uploading to our WebDAV server which
> happens to redirect students to their home drives on a Windows 2008
> server (internally or externally)
>
>   As Moodle can accept uploads from a number of sources including a WebDAV
> server they can upload to Moodle courses from that WebDAV server.
>  So we now have 2 way movement from iPads to WebDAV servers ( which is the
> student's home drive) and from there 2 way movement to Moodle courses.
>
>  This required rewriting some of the PHP pages in Moodle amongst a few
> other changes to allow the Windows server to connect nicely.
>
>  The real problem this has solved (apart from moving data to and from the
> iPad and home drives and Moodle) is removing the dependency on the cloud
> as the only option when internet performance is poor during the day.
>

> Take Care
> Kevork
> Ringwood SC
>

> > Colleagues
> >
> > This is a follow up from my email sent a few months ago regarding Moodle
> 2
> > and WebDAV.
> >
> > I have made a number of progress regarding Moodle 2 using iPad (and other
> > mobile devices). It seemed that WebDAV repository was not behaving
> > properly rather than incorrect WebDAV configuration on my server. The
> > breakthrough for me is that "WebDAV server" must include the port number
> > and you must leave the "WebDAV server port" entry EMPTY. I have also
> found
> > that each user must create their own WebDAV repository pointing to their
> > own Home Directory. WebDAV Configuration for my school is available from
> > http://www.vermontsc.vic.edu.au/curriculum/ipad/webdav. There are other
> > documents on our website regarding iPad as well.
> >
> > For other cloud services, I managed to get Google Drive, Microsoft
> > Skydrive, Dropbox repositories all working successfully.
> >
> > The other plugin/module I found very useful is the Slideshow
> > http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=599 and with a minor
> > modification (see https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=38935) in
> one
> > of the php file I got it working under Moodle v2.3.2+.
> >
> > If there are any schools interested in more information, you can email me
> > <hewd at vermontsc.vic.edu.au> directly.
> Authority
> > and
> > http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
> Teachers
> > Association Inc

> Teachers Association Inc

Key Learning Coordinator ICT & Infrastructure
De La Salle College
(03) 9508 2391

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not
disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended
recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us
immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.  The College does not
guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are
provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or
indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the
negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this e-mail
are not necessarily those of the College.