[Moodle] Ultranet quick timeline of history

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 10:00:18 EST 2009

Laurie has a point worth reflecting upon. I am not privy to the inner
machinations of ultranet, just the aspirations of those who seem to
occasionally orbit it. What will be delivered, only Oracle really knows at
this point. It would be wise to reserve judgement until then.

What Kevork was scrabbling for back in 2005 was a data transport layer that
went beyond shuffling csv files about on USB keys. Imagine connecting Moodle
up to a secure XML data link to school data from Ultranet. You can imagine
the same for other systems in the school, attendance, library etc. This
level of data exchange is attractive to me as it quarantines personal
information from operational information .. in a hospital it would be akin
to separating my personal details from files on the ECG or NMR server. The
latter only needs to know my case number, name and d.o.b .. not my address,
next of kin etc. Imagine the library server being able to update for new
students with a link to the Cases Admin system but only able to extract what
it needs to operate .. or FirstClass automatically listing the new staff or
students to be added or removed from an attendance system etc and filling in
all the forms. Crikey .. after all these years we still have not got it
right.

We already see this level of secure data exchange on the Internet between
GoogleDocs, Flickr and other web2.0 tools. No magic there and will be a
major part of Moodle 2.0 due for release any week now (yes I am excited!)

Nice list Donna .. you are a better detective than me :-)

Paul, you are right to be cautious. Very few state wide deployments like
this have worked to plan. Considerable angst for teachers being generated in
WA and NSW isn't a good track record.

Laurie, the best advice I got from somebody from the southern metro region
was to continue to engage staff with Moodle. For what it does, it does this
very well. The challenge of course is how to embed Ultranet into an existing
school infrastructure and it sounds like the changes mooted for Moodle 2.0
are a step in the right direction.

Perhaps I am imagining problems and Ultranet will do everything short of
making a hot brew for me in the morning .. perhaps good reason will prevail
and they will build it up slowly, slowly, slowly and work closely with all
stakeholders, not bloat it full of features that make the core parts fall
over or stifle innovation by mandating one size and system to fit all. Nice
to think about it though. Imagine ..

Regards Roland