[Moodle] Ultranet quick timeline of history

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Mon Nov 9 09:34:56 EST 2009

It is always interesting to see what other states are working on. Any
idea how Ultranet compares to SOCS in WA or what other states are doing.

When I see objectives like Enterprise Intranet I get shivers. I firmly
believe we have transitioned from the era of personal computers, through
enterprise networks and out the other side into a new era of personal
devices (mobile+cloud).

I don't think the typical java enterprise beans/.net app designed for
IE6+/Firefox 2 on Windows is going to take full advantage off a mobile
browser.

My wife currently uses David M. Reed's attendance app on her ipod touch
and I have heard some great stories about that already from her.

We have been discussing putting together offline web apps (to run on
iphone safari and android) for handling her timetable and other
functions of her teaching diary. Originally she wanted to move
everything onto her Ubuntu netbook but we thought a small touch device
was more practical. We decided early on that offline use with a sync to
a local server provided the best combination of practicallity, privacy
and security and that is the direction we are moving in and we have been
discussing the curriculum side of things as well.

BTW we are in SA so the chances she will have something like Ultranet
(or even Wifi or student netbooks) available anytime soon is unlikely.